View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
I was unhappy that someone decided to stop put and take at UKL due to the fact that lower lake was already trophy lake for lake trout and for C&R crowd.
Yes I would like to see UKL reversed to put and take for the enjoyment of visitors.

Andrew
There are no Lake Trout in LKL. Never stocked with Lake Trout. They stocked Rainbows a long time ago...now they stock Cutts. Bull Trout is Alberta Provincial fish and an awesome fish to catch. Lots of fun. They are native to these lakes but over fishing almost wiped them out. Through careful conservation and zero catch limits they came back. Some stocking occurred just to help a bit with natural reproduction but it is not a regular event now or in the future. As they are so easy to catch... that over exploitation is still possible hense the current regs. You are not getting many supporting bull trout on this thread as they are secretive of the fun this fishery provides.

UKL and LKL are both currently put and take lakes. Your statement to the contrary is false. Look at the regulations. The future regulations are still 100% put and take. The plan however is for folks such as yourself and show a little patience and let the trout grow for a few years before harvest. It makes little sense to stock a trout and then harvest it tomorrow. The gas alone costs more than buying the fish at the grocery store. Therefore...why not appreciate taking bigger trout and having a great recreational sport fishing experience.

Having patience does not mean you have to wait every year...for once we establish regular stocking programs we will have a constant yearly supply of larger trout to bonk if wanted.

The current regulations are 12 inch...I am not sure how you could possibly call that trophy and catch and release. The improved regulations would be 20 inch. 20 inch rainbow are not trophy sized. These lakes grow fish over 30 inches...over 10 lbs. The only reason 20 inch fish seem monsterous in Alberta is because current regs promote instant harvest. A little patience goes a long ways insofar as letting mother nature grow the trout versus a commercial feed pellet. As catch rates have gone up dramatically...I question you logic as to why things are so bad. Fishing here will go from fair to great with the implemented new regs.

I know it may be hard to think a few years in advance as often we live in the here and now but have patience...growing fish bigger is a really good thing. While they grow...you can still catch them and put em back to grow bigger.

Cheers

Sun