View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 03:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
Actually, you dont need the calculator at all - in fact I'd recommend against it. For exampe, with Zeiss Rapid Z 600, zero for 200 and then shoot the 600 yard crosshair at 600 yards. If it hits low, reduce power (increase subtension), and if hits high, then increase power (reduce subtension). You can adjust the power/subtension while looking through the scope and should be able to zero at 600 (e.g., find the proper magnification setting) in 1-2 shots. Once confirmed at 600, everything between 200 and 600 will be on for hunting purposes, although field validation should always be conducted for those ranges too. This to me is the most practical approach, as it will tell you (the shooter) the actual setting in the field conditions you are shooting and more importantly, if you have any business shooting that far in the first place.
I've always advocated confirming your reticle...it just seems to make sense to use the calculator to get you at the very worst close to the proper magnification rather than using up a lot of ammo to close in on it. Your method seems a bit backward to me. Why not use all the tools available to help you? The calculator is amazingly accurate.....I'd say you are crazy not to use it.