Thread: Marlin 444
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 08:01 AM

Years ago I just went out and bought a huge amount of 265 grain hornady. I used to have several 444 but I also had three screw ruger black hawk in 44 mag and I used to be more into hotter loads.
When that micro groove came out I think a lot of people just hated it because it was different.
However I have to admit i have not played with cast bullets much in this caliber . I used the 427098 with black powder because of no crimp groove so I could fill case with black powder and not worry about bullet being pushed down into the case when loaded in magazine. I could crimp in front of forest drive band.
Most cast bullets years ago designed for 44 revolvers and ogive to big for marlin.
Actually a lot of people predicted death of 444 Marlin years ago and I'm surprised its still with us.
I bet with proper bullets and powder the 444 would shoot cast bullets great.
Sr4759 no longer available but there must be a modern equivalent?
Big thing with cast bullets is to keep velocity down. Need more power go with bigger bullet. I'm not sure about the Marlin and its super slow I think its 1 in 38" rifling and heavy bullets. But the small 265 grain shoot great.