View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
I have 4 friends that use them. One also has a permit to shoot from a vehicle ( yes they exist) he's missing an arm an his legs. The other is missing a arm, both are friends and clients.

The other 2 are my father in laws buddies, they have absolutely nothing wrong with themselves, healthy as a guy could be.They have a doctor friend, that wrote the note they needed,and a F&W acquaintance , that granted them the permit, 6 years ago. When it was way tougher to obtain a permit.

My reaction if I met someone in the woods with one... In the general zone, I would stop say hi, ask how his day was, wish him luck and carry on.

In the archery season or bowzone....Ask if he has a permit, and if not, call F&W .
potty that's good to hear. I am always afraid reading these things that sometimes people are speaking out of turn without really knowing all the facts. I am glad you have friends and clients that must use them to hunt. You know another one know. My story is a little different than the people you know but worth telling here I think. First of all let me say my compound has a place of honour in my home office, and always will. My disability is on the inside. You can't see it. Last fall I was split from neck to crotch to remove something terrible growing off of one of my internal organs. I lost a couple of non essential internal parts, a good portion of some others and unfortunately had a lot of muscle removed from my chest, shoulder, and back. Took more than a few boxes of staples to put me back together again. That being said, I was lucky, I'm still here. I have heard lots of stories on here about lazy hunters, and doctors giving notes to friends, and not so great F&W officers. I just wanted to say it's not always the case. My form was filled out by a world class surgeon, submitted, and I waited. I phoned a couple of times to check on the progress but was told to wait and they would call. After a month and a bit I called again and was told that I had been approved but had to wait for more paperwork to be complete before I could pick it up. When that call finally came I attended my local office and as it was retrieved from the file I noticed a lot of paperwork had been involved to investigate my claim. Anyway, there is a question on the form that asked the doctor if there was any chance my condition would improve in the next three years. He said no. He also stated in the written portion that I would never have the strength to pull and maintain a draw on my bow again. My approval is for what I was told was the maximum. One year. With a three year total pre approval if my condition does not improve. I have to go back each time for the next two years and present myself to get the new one. After that its back to the surgeons if I want to continue. Fair? I think so. Do I love the fact that it might be easier for me? No. Not really on topic but I thought I would share. I guess I will see how I get treated. I hope it is with the respect that any bow hunter that earns it deserves. I will let you know in the fall.