Thread: Barbless Hooks
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 03:23 PM

Curious,

Obviously you've already made up your mind and the sudden appearance of your account, quoting of statistics and regulations, and claims of being 'new' all seem a little off. You're making a huge effort to try and present your case in a passive aggressive way and are coming across with heaps of subtle sarcasm. I suspect you're alot more involved in angling in this province in one way or another than you're trying to appear to be.

With that said, there is at least one significant study out there that shows only a miniscule percentage difference in release mortality when using barbed vs. barbless hooks. I'm sure there are others that show a more significant difference. Perhaps more science is required to firm up your numbers.

Perhaps we also need a study to determine how a barb that's been pinched so that only a micron of space exists between the barb and the hook compares to hook that's been manufactured without a barb and one that is fully barbed too? Perhaps a new law should require anglers to purchase a piece of 2lb test in order to test each lure after pinching the barb should be mandated - that sounds like a law you'd like to see.

Did the illegal acquisition of large numbers of fish happen this weekend due to illegal angling/netting practices? I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it did. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that most F&W are well aware of the hotspots where these sorts of activities commonly occur. And I'll bet you more dollars to donuts that the amount of fish killed as a result outnumbered the ones saved by officers ticketing those like the OP this weekend.

Despire all that, I like seeing F&W officers out checking anglers. Just their appearance goes along way to curbing shady practices. But in truth, nitpicking little guys who tried to obey a law seems like a bad practice all around.

That's just my opinion.. correct me if I'm wrong and sorry for my naievity and all that.

Cheers!

Last edited by Wulfespirit; 01-18-2010 at 03:50 PM.