View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 08:07 AM

As Roger said, the 257 Wby is best suited for 100 grain bullets.
I was using the 100 gr Barnes TSX in mine and it didn't really like the 115 or 120 grain bullets I tried. Any 100 grain bullet I put through it would shoot under 1 inch at 100 yards all day long with good velocity.
I never shot anything larger than deer with it but it flattens them with enough authority that I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk or Moose at reasonable ranges.
As has already been said, brass can be expensive. I got good life out of mine though, 7 or 8 reloads if I recall correctly. One thing that I did was keep my eyes open at gun shows for bags of new brass. These can sometimes be had for a fraction of the cost of new brass in the stores and if you can't find 257, get .270 wby or 7mm wby and neck them down to 257, provided you don't already have one of those calibers in your gun rack.

This caliber is lots of fun and you won't regret the purchase Just make sure you have hearing protection on before you shoot, like all high velocity rounds, the muzzle blast is pretty fierce!