View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
So I have decided this year that I'm going to dedicate my November hunting trip to just moose. As much as I love hunting the whitey rut, I am going to head out at the end of august for archery whitetail. Want a velvet buck this year I think to hang on the wall. Im going to leave the elk alone as I am a pretty optimistic person and if I ended up tagging an elk, whitetail and a moose would just be way too much. All this could change of course if for some reason didn't draw my moose tag (side note……anyone get their priorities updated on alberta RELM, cuz mine aren't and getting worried).

Here is where I'm looking for input. Its obviously not going to be the rut so calling is pretty much out. This leaves me with spot and stalk or tree stand. I don't know what to go with. I have never hunted from a tree stand and know this would require a lot of scouting to find high traffic areas. Spot and stalk, what I normally like to do would also prove to be difficult as deer aren't as dumb as they are in the rut.

So should I fork out the cash and buy a tree stand or stick with walking the ground?
Your gonna need a tree stand, in late august and early September before the bucks strip they seem to pattern fairly well, if you can scout out a group of bachelor bucks they will generally do similar things each night. I have killed all my good bow bucks this way. I use cameras and find the feed and then I try to intercept them as close as I can to where they bed, sometes hunting over the feed source doesn't work because the good bucks stay back till dark, being close the bedding area they generally get up and wonder around the bedding area till dusk.