View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 03:54 PM

I've killed quite a few bucks here in Montana in September... I used to hunt out of trees quite a bit but rarely do any more... Keep in mind that the trees here aren't great for tree stands... Mostly big cottonwood trees that are almost always leaning and on top of that, more often than not they are not where I want to set up so I've hunted a lot from the ground. I've killed two nice bucks that I saw from a tree stand but were not going to come close enough for a shot, so I quietly got down out of the tree and intercepted them (after moving a couple hundred yards). If you do chose to use a tree, don't be afraid to get down and put on a stalk....It's always a decision whether to try a stalk or stay put and hope the buck will come closer another day, but my experience is that the older, mature bucks don't show themselves very often before the rut, so if I see one during daylight hours I usually take a chance and try a stalk if necessary.... I can't begin to count the number of old bucks I've seen one time, and one time only.

And you can pretty much forget hunting mornings..... If Alberta is anything like Montana, the older bucks have eaten and bedded down long before daylight in September and into October.... Bowhunting then is pretty much an evening affair.. You can always get lucky, of course, but I use mornings for scouting new areas..... Good Luck!