View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
If you have a knife that you can gut/skin a bear three elk and six deer....and still shave with it you had better hang onto it.

What exactly is it?

It was the second from the top on this pic. All of these are long since sold and are being enjoyed by others. One of which is owned by a member here.

Pick your poison though from Dozier or Crotts and you’ll find the same level of performance. It wasn’t specific to that knife, I just chose to use that knife that year.

I settled on these two in the end and I’m satisfied. I haven’t been looking for anything new for a few years now. Well, except for a larger filleting knife but that’s in the works now.

I finish mine at 25 microns on a DMT “fine” stone then a few (like two or three) light passes across a leather strop loaded with five micron diamond paste. I believe the relatively rough edge gives me higher cutting aggression then a finely polished edge. It’s still apexed properly and shaves like a razor but it’s not highly polished. I may amend that procedure with the S90v being as it’s got a finer steel matrix with smaller carbides but that will have to wait until I start hunting again and put it through a few animals. For D2 I still like the sharpening regime I’ve got and the performance it provides.