View Single Post
Old 01-21-2023, 06:41 AM

Badbrass has been updated throughout the progress, along with pictures. Yesterday, he asked if I could share the work that has been done so far on this thread. No problems and here we go.

So the work scope was thoroughly discussed with him and all aspects were agreed upon.

I will begin with the handle shape. The profile was cut out:

The next step was to grind the entire cleaver edges, and do a little reshaping. For that, I used my 2x72 belt grinder with different grits. Then after that, it was finished by hand sanding.

The cutting edge was off "center" so I entirely flattened it out; and started it over. Bevels are now even.:

I then drilled the handle 1/4 inch holes. Normal bits did not work due to metal hardness, so I had to get a carbide twist bit. No issues.

After that, I worked on the flat sides of the blade. First, I used 2x72 conditioning belts (3 different grits). Once completed I hand sided both sides using 100/220/320 and 400 grits. Then to the bench grinder. I use 2 buffing wheels, using black and green compound. This process polishes the blade.

This cleaver had many deep "battle scars" from this piece of metal's previous life. I managed to get rid of most of them. These are a few left but I believe it will give this cleaver "character".

The cutting edge has now been sharpened.

So basically all there is left to do is make/install the handles, then a final blade hand polish. The handle material to be used was discussed with Badbrass, and a decision was made to use Inlace Acrylester. This is a polyester based material that exhibits a shimmering pearlescent quality when viewed in the light, and has amazing visual depth. I will not divulge the color he picked. All will find out when it is done.

So far, I have about 25 hours into it. it has been a challenging and fun restoration project, and I am thoroughly enjoying it...