Thread: Travers Closure
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl2 View Post
FACT: HARASSING SPAWNING FISH IS A PROBLEM. I dont care if its from a weekend warrior or a tourney vet its wrong, plain and simple.

I have been searching the internet and have read some interesting pdf files on how some other places run there waters and how they manage the resource. I know that some wont apply to alberta waters as different places have to deal with different problems and have different challenges. I did find a pretty common theme in most places such as minnesota, ontario and michigan. Protect, develop, maintain and restore critical habitats for natural stocks of walleye. I would say this fits right in with the problem occurring on traverse. To me protect doesn't mean getting my gear out and chasing them all over there spawning grounds.

There were also some other ways that other places implemented special regulations to preserve there fish and habitats. i.e. slot limits, banning early season night time fishing,reduce possession limits and banning boats from tearing up spawning grounds. I know the boat one would be tricky as the launch sits in the middle of prime spawning ground but with the closure no boat should need be up the west arm further than the launch. There were also some things that don't need regulation changes and would cost nothing like keeping the lake free and clear of garbage ( especially in spawning grounds ) so by doing something so small as not leaving your cra* on the ice in the winter and lugging your trash out the rest of the time will help walleye have a more successful spawn. just thought i would share some of the stuff i have been reading on the net....
Very good post we can't let the true reason for this get lost, it all still comes down the the protection of the fishery. It would be interesting to see some of the other states and provinces have come to deal with similar problems.
Thank you