View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
I think Jeff managed pretty ok, he got her by the tail and used the net to cradle / contain its head. I think the reason it flopped out the first time was because I had reeled in too much line during the commotion and the pike was able to use the tension as leverage to flop out of his arms. If I had let out some line from my bale he would have been able to contain him much easier. I loosened my drag when he ran away the first time, making the second grab much easier. (also the fish was a lot more tired by that point)
Yes he did pretty good all things considering, just saying that from my experience I would leave the net on shore next time in that situation. The pike got most of its leverage from the edge of the net, when they are bent over the side like that and they flip their weight they almost always throw themselves out, ask me how I know lol...

I don't really remember ever seeing you guys use the gill plate grab but I consider it the best thing for pike(both for the fish and anglers sake). Something worth practising if you don't feel comfortable with because it does make it a lot easier to hold onto them and to remove hooks.