View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Well I don't think the issue of untrained dogs running around is much of an issue. We hunt birds with dogs. I don't see a lot of untrained dogs running around. I doubt anyone will feed a dog all year round to have it out of control and ruin his hunting trip. Bird dogs that are untrained seldom get out more than twice. Way too much work.

Now take a dog with you on an extended trip to get your trophy deer only to have him run the deer off, I don't think so.

It doesn't matter if the dog is a house dog, it isn't allowed to be out of control all the time. Sooner or later the benefit outweighs the cost and the dog is gone. In the areas that I see a dog being a benefit in tracking wounded game, the wolves or cougar would be happy to have a canine treat once in a while.
Guys with cougar/bear.coyote hounds hunt in a pack. I doubt anyone that cares anything for his dog is going to let it run amok by itself to wind up as dinner, for some predator.

Assuming that everyone in the field is irresponsible or haven't trained their dogs or that they won't follow the rules is exactly the thinking that creates so many stupid restrictions. We set the laws to the lowest common denominator, instead of simply enforcing them and dealing strongly with the lowest common denominator..