View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 10:39 PM

I tried a stalk on opening weekend (Sept 1st) when I spotted a couple decent bulls in a canola field. I had black fabric over top the brown antlers to simulate full velvet, but they wandered off the other way. I had seen them while driving and then parked the truck behind some cover and then came out wearing the decoy - probably not the stealthiest. Anyway, after overlooking my picture and scouting notes of live moose, I knew the wearable decoy needed a few adjustments.

I too noticed the lack of proper nose so that was the first piece I added. In addition to that, ears. Ears are very noticeable on any moose. I also lowered and hump and rump. The nose turned out great because it covered my face while stalking (just giving enough sight to see what's happening but avoiding eye contact and bright shiny face). The best part is that when I am presented with a shooting opportunity, the bowstring fits between the antler and nose perfectly with my head turned to the side. Version #2 was exactly what I was going for - a wearable decoy that I could shoot with.

I have hunted moose my entire life and have a lot of experience with closer encounters, cow calling moose and just moose hunting in general. I wanted to try something different for this hunt which is why I went overboard on the decoy. I definitely look like an ISIS dude with the nose tilted up. From my experience, moose never charge right away, they size each other up and posture before clashing antlers, so the plan is to get an arrow into a bull when he turns broadside in the posturing mode. I will be carrying an air-horn for safety as well in order to call the entire thing off. And the helmet comes off in no time to also help cancel the stalk. There are usually are warning signs before they charge like nostrils flaring and ears titled back and eyes wide open. Moose are generally slow-moving and I only plan to challenge P&Y bulls or the same size as my antlers, so young dumb ones won't be a problem.