View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Blood Tracking

I was taught how to train dogs onto blood tracking in Germany and did a good amount over there (mostly for boars, elk and some deer).
When I returned to Canada back in the 80's I continued training my versatile (GWP) in blood tracking and actually had a permit from the FishCops to use on certain occasions. However, in Ontario it's generally accepted and legal to use dogs while hunting big game, on and off leash. In Eastern Canada and especially in the US it's very common, and dog organizations that specialize in tracking are to be found there (they do trials and everything).
Back in the 80's I asked our FishCops if I could contine the practise here...a big resounding NO was the answer. Not allowed to use dogs to hunt big game...period.
Mind you, it's also not as practical thoughout most of Alberta as in parts of Southern Ontario. That area can be pretty confined and a 'tracker' can be easily obtained within a reasonable amount of time.
It's not as natural as you would think for a dog to blood track, and training takes time...like anything else we train our dogs to do.
Too bad our Government won't allow it, could save alot of deer from being recovered.