View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 PM

I am a firm believer in the dogs being able to help track a wounded deer. In germany there is a test where the dog is sent on a track off lead the dog then tracks the scent. If it finds the dead animal it pick up the piece of leather around its neck, returns to the handler then leads the handler back to the deer. The dog may also bay. I hope one day they make it legal to allow a dog to track down wounded game even if its on a lead. Heck dont let the person have a gun. A dogs nose is far better than any tracker or equipment made and a properly trained gun dog is worth more than its weight in gold.

I know a dog that can find drugs inside a ziplock bag inside a tupperware container in your gas tank without removing the gas tank lid. This dog was Whiskey vom Bieberstein a DK imported from Germany. He is in a couple books and even has a TV show about in on animal planet.

The guy who imported him breeds, trains, raises, hunts, and tests Deutsch Kurzhaars he tracks gut shot deer ever season for locals and is very successful.

Its too bad that a few bad apples that would use their dogs to run deer wiould ruin it for the rest of us.