Thread: Home insurance.
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 10:15 AM

I would never deal with a broker. Here is what happened to me.

Lived in Calgary dealt with a broker. Insurance policy was directed to Intact.
Moved to Edmonton. Insurance continued with the Calgary Insurance broker for years. Somehow I remembered that my insurance must be coming due. Looked at my insurance policy yeas it was due in two days. Never got a statement. Phoned the broker in Calgary, talked with the owner. He said oh we no longer deal with Intact, so that is why we didn't send you a statement. I phoned Intact. Asked for agents for Intact in Edmonton area. They gave me a name of a broker in Sherwood Park.
Called the Sherwood Park Broker explained what happened, gave him a photo copy of my insurance policies. I had no time to shop around as I traveled for work extensively and was on my way to Quebec. Got insurance however it was deemed as new policy and not a renewal. Rates when up and insurance remained with Intact. Remained with the Sherwood Park broker and Intact.
6 Years later got a call from the Sherwood Park Broker: Oh we no longer deal with Intact. He was very nice and suggested an insurance company from Newfoundland. Got the quote yep insurance went up by approx $800. Deemed as a new customer. So I shopped around got 8 quotes. But this time I decided no broker for me and was leaned towards dealing direct with an insurance company.
Best deal was with Allstate; Rates were over $1,000 less. Have been dealing with them for several years. They have a policy if no claims on autos the deductible is removed. So today we have no deductable on our autos.
Just renewed last Friday.
House replacement value $924,000 Personal Property $647,000
2 Auto's: Collision, No deductable 2 Mil Liability
Motorhome Collision, Glass, 2 Mil Liability
Boat, Boat Motor, Boat Trailer : Theft, 2 Mil Liability
Total Premium over $1,000 less than two other companies.

Funny, as I was just talking to a friend of our family. He just received a letter from his insurance company: stating: they no longer continue coverage based on your agent (@#$) no longer represents us for personal lines property and casuality business.
Looks like you are in Red Deer give Allstate a call but shop around.
Allstate Insurance
2325-50 Ave Red Deer
Phone (587) 802-3302