Thread: Trip to Hawaii
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 AM

Depends on their expectations and budget.

The big island is impressive for the volcanic scenery. However beaches are poor and the tropical area is hit by volcanic eruptions. I would skip for now.

Oahu is like any small lower 48 states city but beside a nice beach. Honolulu is somewhat iconic and the WW2 museum is excellent however not a tropical feel. More suited in my opinion for city lovers wanting a beach beside their hotel.

Mahi is the cheapest...lots of nice beaches. Kihei is cheaper than Kaanapali (expensive resorts...beautiful beaches some great deals on FRBO). Wailea is great but expensive...nice beaches. Hana is a nice drive and tropical however the rest of the area feels a lot like putting Kamloops beside an ocean. Dry and not lush.

Kauai is to be the epitome of what a tropical island should be...especially the Princeville area. Poipu Beach is popular and a little drier. Nice beaches around. Gilligan's Island and Jurassic Park amongst other movies shot here. Definitely a great place and my favorite of the bunch.

Seasonally...you need to know how the winds blow as it can affect beaches...wind blowing over the island make for calmer beaches than wind blowing straight from off shore.

My two cents.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin