View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Banned

I agree with Dodger. I don't think we need more gov't involvement and regulations, I think that's the last thing we need unless we want it to be cumbersome, expensive, and not accomplish the goals, then by all means, get the gov't involved.

Boating safety starts with the individual. It's up to every boat owner to make sure that they can safely operate their boat. It's also up to every individual to use their own judgement when assessing the weather conditions, their skills and their boat, while out on the water. I would like to see some classes or training made available to people who don't have the luxury of learning from more experienced friends or family. Ultimately though, I agree with a comment Walleyes made, you can't legislate common sense or outlaw stupid. People are going to make stupid decisions and there's really nothing that can be done about it other than try to give them the tools to make better ones.

I also agree that there should be much better marking of submerged hazards and structure on our waters. This kinda stuff is taken for granted out east where waterways are marked like highways and detailed structure maps are readily available. There's really no excuse for this (except the one below), especially on AB's man made lakes. Again though, people would actually have to obey the signs and use the maps.

An interesting story on the subject -

On Last Mountain Lake in SK, there's a well known LARGE boulder in the water about 100 yds off shore in front Collingwood Estates. It takes out a couple of boats and several outboards/sterndrives every year. The RCMP are well aware of it, as are the F&W people, neither have placed a bouy on the rock although it has been repeatedly requested. Under the direct warning of both agencies, no one else has placed a marker buoy on the boulder either. The reason - legal liability. If you mark the rock, then technically you are liable for the position of the bouy and any damage or injury that may result as a consequence of the bouy being there.

It's absolutely crazy, but that's the world we live in...

Waxy