View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
The Marlin is a good rifle but in 45-70, the action is too short for the longer/heavier bullets which (IMO) are what is best at close range if your using it for bear defense. For hunting of course, the lighter 250 to 300 grain bullets are fine. Chiappa's 1886 clone has a larger action and can cycle the heavy bullets just fine but it's heavier and more expensive to buy but it is available in a short barrel version.
If you never get out of thick bush then these are good choices for hunting rifles but your severely handicapped when you step out onto a cut line and see the bull of your dreams standing 350 yards away presenting the perfect shot..... for a scoped rifle!
How big a bullet are you talking about? I load 450gr Montana & 465gr Cast Performance hard cast bullets and have never had a problem with cycling.
Being hard cast, they'd likely penetrate end to end although I've never had the need to shoot a big bear (thank God!). Lots of information on other forums about this though. People shooting up to 525gr Piledrivers without issues in 1895's also. The 1895 seems to be a choice for more than a few Alaskan guides too. I can imagine they're going into bear country loaded with short 250 - 350gr rounds.

Rifle is a JM 1895SS

All my other 1895's (CBA, SBL & GS) shoot 405 gr jacketed bullets without issues either.