View Single Post
Old 12-17-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
Great video; I primarily fish pike and defend them when the people associate them with "coarse" fish,, and they are not just easy catch fish. Certain lakes they are super aggressive and others a bit shy.

There's a point in the vid where the pike releases as it has felt part of the exposed treble,, I no longer use trebles but a larger single. Regardless, I find that when I bait my herring with the hook more in the hill cheek I get more hook ups. I also don't do the double hook method as I loop the line going back at the belly and a loop again at the tail, this way it presents as a foraging fish and an easy target. Some larger pike hit the bait, release and second hit,, but, the love of the pike fishing is; just when you think your dialed in to their habits, something changes on the next outing. I've also come to the conclusion that if the herring has a flap torn exposing gut there is more likely chance of a big gulp. Tattered and torn.

Really nice leader material you can get from Michael's in the bead section,, I find it nice and supple during ice time.

Pike deserve more respect. When I see someone pick them up by the eyes,, hoh boy, or kick them into the water, or wretch the hook from them like they're working a barbed wire fence,,, they maybe stealthy alpha predators, bit they should be handled no different than the girly fish so sought after in the bow.

Disclaimer: girly fish is a trademark of Wayne Christie enterprises, and used without permission.
Awesome, thanks for the tip on the presentation, I like it. I think you're right about those trebles after watching this behaviour, and you're certainly right about this fish deserving more respect!

It's interesting because I was talking to a guy from Europe the other day. Over there, "predator fishing" is really big, and the biggest predator has the most respect among anglers, the Northern Pike.

Over there they get called out if they don't have wetted unhooking mat for the fish... I wonder what they'd say if they saw the old eye-hold!

[emoji1787]

Sent from my motorola one hyper using Tapatalk