View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post
I shot my Dall sheep this year with my guides browning 325 wsm. My gun (and me) took a bad spill. The 325 wsm flattened that ram! I wish Sako would make one. Does anyone think they will soon? Let me know if you think it's worth buying.
I can't speak for Sako, but I just purchased a 325 WSM in a Browning X-Bolt, the sythentic SS Stalker. Light rifle (~6.5#), topped it with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40. I don't think the entire package breaks 7# by very much.

I'll be taking it on its first hunt in a couple of weeks...

I had read several postings concerning recoil with the WSM calibers in the light rilfes (like the Stalker). However, after spending some time punching paper with it (and with my BDL 270 Win as a direct comparison), I did not find this round to be a heavy recoiler at all. It does give more of a push than my 270, but not a significant amount more. I realize recoil sensitivity is a very individual thing (and I've also read that my configuration of caliber/rifle should recoil almost as much as a 375 HH). I won't argue the math, but I can only assume those dis'ing this cartridge/rifle on recoil haven't actually fired one. Either that or they should stick to rimfires ;-) .

Accuracy was (to me) exceptional - .750 groups with Nosler Custom 200 gr AB. Even with that, most of the group size can be attributed to me rather than the rifle. In a machine rest it would probably be one ragged hole.