View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 08:35 AM

Grew up in BC and can’t say the fly fishing only had amazing results in all areas applied. I don’t really see this as a conservation tool. Great way to promote fly fishing and see it as a good thing in small numbers but not a management tool. I know of more then a few lakes full of float tubes and cronie fishermen bobbing around in high numbers. Funny thing the better fly fishing lakes in BC don’t have this restriction and are not well known lol. Fly fishing only attracts fly fishermen so only changes the style of pressure in my opinion

Ice fishing ban not going to get into much because I never really put much thought into it. The only way this or any seasonal closer is worthwhile is in a C&K situation or to protect spawning. Shorten the season on C&K fish numbers are at risk sure but I would not target directly ice fishing

Single barbless I agree and disagree. Fully support Alberta going back to barbless but like I have stated many times there is benefits and disadvantages to fish health with both trebles and singles if you choose your hooks correctly. Single hooks are not always the best option. Size appropriate hooks/lures make more of a difference then single vs treble. When bait is involved circle hooks work wonders.

One I am a supporter on is bait restrictions in waters that are C&R and even in heavy pressured waters where fish stocks are a concern

The truth is there is a lot of good fishing out there and lots of areas with minimal pressure get out and explore. If you fish areas everyone talks about expect them to be busy. I hear people always saying how the fishing is so bad but most of my trips this year have been 5-20 fish in a morning or afternoon fishing with some days being much better. Most of the areas I have fished I basically have no experience fishing either and just trying random new places. Being in a new area I am starting fresh. Many of the spots I have been fishing have limited restrictions with C&K opportunity. Funny part one of the most productive areas I had been told was dead by many people lol.

Could Alberta’s fisheries management use improvement yes but I my days on the water are not the doom and gloom many report

My biggest complaint this year is the water levels in the rivers suck so have not been able to explore the rivers as much as I want to