View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post

Settle down. I didn't say anything about turning ALL waters into no ice fishing or fly fishing only. Just a few where it would be sustainable and beneficial. I can think of 1 or 2 lakes that are too small and shallow for trolling gear and already have electric motor only laws. It was also just spitballing ideas since that's what we're all doing here right?

Like I said, there are fly fishing only lakes in BC and lakes that ban ice fishing. The ice fishing ban helps prevent the introduction of shiners which usually hurt a trout population. Said lakes are also usually single barbless hook regs with 1 or 2 fish limits and are managed by the province as "trophy" lakes, being stocked with triploids that grow to very large sizes. I'd love to see similar opportunites in Alberta.

But if the consensus is to have a pure free for all, I guess we can do that too. I chuck spinners and spoons too, and I like ice fishing in the winter. I can deal with a free for all, no holds barred system if that's what you guys want.
I didn't think you meant ALL waters, I vehemently oppose turning any waters in this province into fly fishing only. I don't know the ins and outs of why this would be implemented in B.C. but seems like a completely silly rule.
Fly fishing isn't exactly a handicap to those who know what they are doing. Restricting waters to fly fishing only strikes me as nothing more than a discriminatory venture that does nothing to limit fishing pressure.

We already have seasonal closures that pretty much effectively eliminate ice fishing in certain waterbodies other than maybe a short window. Don't see the need to expand on that. Ice fishing is a great way for people to get out in the winter.

Nothing wrong with spit balling ideas I just don't happen to agree.