Thread: Alberta Bass?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 02:01 PM

I had brought this up last year moving to Calgary from Ontario. I did a lot of research and the history is pretty interesting even when you factor in bass in bc.

All these fish originated from ontario. Bay of quinte gets mentioned alot I was looking into smallies and those are all from the bay .

The problem with our lakes is winter kills, the water temperature here sometimes doesn't even reach spawning temp of around 65 degrees till late summer or maybe never.

So what happens is the fish survive a few goes , fail to spawn , and eventually fizzle out. Could it work ? Yeah I think Newell looks prime for largies but it's overal spit among peoples favor if they approve.

If bass took off here you would see more tournaments and conservation efforts of clubs. We are right near the border to some great bass fishing and events so we could spawn new anglers and reps to involve themselves in qualifiers.

It's a fun thing to be part of but I don't think folks here know of or even care to appreciate this. Kinda more old fashioned , lots of bow river fanatics. And rightfully so , it's some of the best fishing to be had !

But I'm still in bc most weekends fishing bass , I don't care. Walleye is fine but it gets boring dragging up the bottom all summer , I need to mix things up. Overall I think were in a pretty good area . Lots of different types of opportunities surrounding just need to look around and appreciate it.

The introduction of bass in Alberta was attempted . The last known record is from island lake ...

Anyways , even if re introduced i doubt it would effect any fisheries , it's not like a squawfish or asian carp. Bass readily co existing with all different species so I still don't buy the argument that it would hurt fishing , especially when almost everything here is non native , and a lot of reservoirs !