View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
What do the believers think it's ok to sell your daughter into slavery ?

King James Bible

And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.

I have a daughter and I would fight with my life that she never be a slave, This is the moral book you speak of ? I say it's rubbish and should be looked at with contempt.

Really?
I thought you had this answered on another thread?

Many scholars, both believers and secular have studied the texts and put most of the stories into an historical context. I am far from being a scholar but let me explain this text in modern day language.

In the old Bible days there were not too many places where young people could be employed. In the old Bible days families like families today often had trouble making ends meet. Like today a solution to this was to this let family members hire out to others. Today the children would work at McDonald to help out. In the old Bible days the children would work for the wealthy. In the old Bible days, some householders sold their entire household into servitude or hired them out. These servants, and the King Jimmie translates them to be slaves, were often house slaves and not field slaves. Young girls often became the personal servant of the lady of the house and enjoyed the best that the rich family had to offer. Read the book a bit. You will notice that the patriarch Abraham had a servant that he intrusted to be his right hand man and if good old Abe would never had children, this slave was to be his heir. It's in the book. If you read the book a bit and not cherry pick you may find the part on how to deal with a slave who does not want to be free after his/her time of servitude is over.

We do not call it slavery but the poor today work for the rich. In my opinion, the masters of slaves from the old eastern culture treated their salves better than the minimum wage empires of today.

Only the uneducated people today, believe the term we call slavery today literally existed and was the same type of slavery that you referred to in your text.

BTW the so called authorized version of the Bible, that we know as the King James Version has lots of mistakes in translation and very few scholars both Christian and secular think it is the most accurate translation of the ancient texts.

Last edited by covey ridge; 03-01-2014 at 04:55 PM.