View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
haha ok my point will never be made with you I guess...but "walleye" is nothing more than a "common name", it is not a "correct name" as you keep calling it. I understand the point you are trying to make but that is the whole reason scientific nomenclature exists, to have a correct name that is universally known when discussing this species. Therefore, it is elitist to say the only name you should be calling this fish is a "walleye", a common name given to the fish species with the correct name of Sander vitreus.

There is nothing "correct" about calling this fish a walleye when you are debating between several other "common" names of the same fish.
And you keep missing the forest because of the trees! I posted provincial regulations that specify walleye. They don't say pickerel. Why is that he wonders aloud? Simple, walleye are the fish that are caught in those provinces, not pickerel!

There's a difference between using some local slang as opposed to misleading people as to the correct name of a fish specie. Our Lake Winnipeg walleyes are very well known to anglers as "greenbacks!" However, ppl know that they are walleye, not pickerel. Whereas, it appears that some AO members would rather live in the past and be left behind instead of trying to keep up with the times.

To quote your scientific name; sander vitreum, show us where that is the scientific name for pickerel.

Keep calling them pickerel if you want. Just don't look dumbfounded when people in the know give you the, "Where did this guy learn his fish?" look!