Thread: Antelope.
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Of course those doing the counts tell you that the confidence levels are high. Would they admit to a poor count?
Ask them how there confidence was in 2002 with a count that was possibly erroneous with the population fluctuating from 16,600 to 12,750 and then back in one year. I'm very suspicious of these counts but you already knew that.

And does it really matter anyways? With nearly 30,000 res/nr in the draw, increasing every year, and 600-1000 tags, the future for antelope hunting is dismal given the current seasons.
Instead of worrying about 600 tags, worry about the validity of the applicants and change the policy so that only residents get a chance. And possibly add a ML season or whatever else to get more of these applicants in the field, whether they are successful or not, who cares.

Thanks for the info WB and great work!

One would have to look deeper into the 2002 count to reason why the number is out of place. Was there a reduction in the area surveyed, a winterkill, high fawn mortality, a late migration such as happened in 2011? The survey technique is proven and used worldwide. There are safety measures in place to allow for underestimation but not overestimation of the population. Then the safety measures for controlled harvest compound the conservation protocols. The 2002 count does not give me concern that the biologist are not doing a good job in their surveys.

Yes, those doing the surveys would state their opinion of the survey's quality regardless if it was positive or negative. You will find that information is even included in the official reports, as it is an important part of the survey analysis. What those doing the flights have to say in private is even more credible.

I am worried about the loss of 1800+ Resident trophy licences in two years. That is a significant number that SRD needs to account for.

The issue of applications and NR is a separate matter to this issue of reduced licences.

Thanks to a patient teacher I am finally getting the hang of this graph stuff....