Thread: Bass? Alberta?
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
once again....yes its about Bass. BUT you keep mentioning the Dangers and that we should learn from our mistakes. So im asking what are the dangers?

p.s. i dont think for the most part trout introdution was a mistake...its provided a fishery we did not have before.....and its benifits are huge.....hmmm maybe i want another option
Trout and bass are two very different species so I fail to see the point of a comparison. But, there are risks with introducing any non-native as has been proven with both rainbows and brookies if you break out of the confines of your little pond.

"I" want another option just doesn't seem reason enough to put Alberta's fisheries at risk and justify the costs. Give us something concrete and you'll likely get some support. As I said, I love to fish for bass but I'm not sure my desires should dictate fish management in the province. After being in New Zealand I love hunting for tahr and chamois as well but I'm not sure that's enough justification to introduce them to Alberta.

Chubb, we've made a lot of mistakes in the past and it's good to learn from them rather than use them as excuses to make more.