View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Interesting. Tezma got a 40cm female yesterday with a huge rostrum on it.

Funny little pig fish. A big male I got didnt have nearly the snout as that fish did. Caught 2km apart on the Bow.

I am a scientist, but often I have the same data as you, referred to as "traditional knowledge".

It's posts like Sundancer's where he presents qualitative data, as opposed to quanitative which are often of more value than a scientist's work.

SD has identified a potential concern, whereas science is not actively monitoring the issue, and likely only acts in a reactive manner.

"OMG the fish are gone, better take some samples/measurements/surveys"

aka

"Hey, where'd all the Bull Trout go?"

The one thing i remember is....the bull trout from the Koot always had some respect for their table qualitities....bright orange flesh from eating kokes.
The alberta bulls on a whitefish diet were considered less than good table fare and deemed trash by many.
The way people deem a fish as table fare has changed alot....back when i was a kid if a fish didnt taste great with a cast iron pan and a little flour ad butter it wasnt worth catching.....today with all the sauces and ingredients you hardly know its fish your eating
My pops was a trout fan...and my wish was to become a fish cop or fish scientist of some sorts....after alot of thought, i sadly gave up on that idea for monetary reasons. Not a knock on their or your wages, just my decision. But i played the part for many years.....making trips to watch fish spawn every year, no rod... just to watch. Compare what i saw and how things changed. I can remember watching bulls spawn with marauding rmw dodging in and out after bully eggs. Bulls would get pizzed and slash out putting the bite on them and then releasing the hold and the rmw would tumble down stream.Some times they would get eaten by another bull which appeared to not be spawning.
I still to this day spent time every year going to watch eyes spawn on a few lakes in southern ab.