View Single Post
Old 11-26-2017, 07:59 PM

Default Outcast Fish Cat Scout and Trolling Motor

I've made a simple trolling motor mount for my Fish Cat Scout and thought I'd share some pictures and details of the motor mount, steering, etc. as well as the way I organize my other attachments.

I bought the boat used in June and have used it mainly on Parkland lakes in Manitoba. I had previously owned a Creek Company ODC 420 and had also used an Outcast Fish Cat Streamer XL pontoon boat for a year. I briefly had the trolling motor on Streamer XL as well. I kept the Streamer XL assembled and transported in the back of my Ridgeline. I had a transport wheel on it but my 60 year old back wasn't crazy about lifting it in and out of the truck. So far I'm happy with my purchase and the fact the Scout is about half the weight of the Streamer XL.

I'm using a Minn Kota Endura 30 with a 35 A-hr battery in shotgun shell box. The motor mount is 3/4 PVC fittings and pipe and wood for the clamping service. The mount is held with the two green cam straps pulling forward to the tie-down loops on either side of the seat and the black cam strap that is attached to the ring on the centre-back of the boat and pulls towards the back. A simple mount but very secure. The motor does not bounce around at all, even in the gusty white caps I had to deal with the first day with the new boat. I did not use the motor for trolling but rather to get to different parts of the lake in reasonable time. I mounted a Scotty anchor lock to the left side of the motor mount.

Steering the motor is accomplished with two blue ropes attached 3/8" eyebolts threaded into two 3/4" split ring pipe hangers at the top of the motor shaft. The ropes are threaded through the tie-down loops on either side of the seat. The trick to steering was to keep pressure on both ropes and make small adjustments. Simple idea from trolling motor on kayaks.

The oars were surprisingly effective although I wouldn't do any white water with them. On the third day, I didn't even bother with motor. The oars and swim fins were more than adequate on a smaller lake. The Scout was very agile with swim fins although not as responsive as my shorter float tube. There is a lot of flotation and the motor did not seem to have much of an impact on front-back balance. It's a great platform to fly fish from. I did need to by a cheap Lucky Strike net, with telescoping handle, from Cdn Tire to get fish over the front foot bar.

The seat was also a pleasant surprise. I have lower back issues, but seat has quite of bit of adjustment and I was able to spend 6 to 8 hours each day on the water.

The last picture shows my current setup. I've put a strap-on Scotty rod holder the left side and have my Humminbird Fishin Buddy on a strap-on holder on the right. The net is held in place with a Scotty net holder. The fixed storage compartment on the left side wasn't big enough for my needs so I bought the black bag on the right from Outcast. This older model didn't have the "integrated gear system" of the newer models so I added a Scotty glue-on mount for the new bag. I'm hoping to carry most if not all of my stuff in the two side bags in the future and just have the battery and anchor behind me.

The Scout looks like is going to be a real convenient setup for the next few years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 On Water.jpg (160.3 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 2L Rear.JPG (135.3 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Left.JPG (147.0 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 4 Motor mount 0390.JPG (87.1 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 5 Current Setup.JPG (93.0 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by haggis57; 11-26-2017 at 08:09 PM.