View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 01:53 PM

I had the chance to try out my friends idea on finding the node,,, it seems to of worked.

Part way into the 4 loaded cartrages,,, of 5 in each batch...

The loads at .5 of a grain apart. I got thinking that I'm way over the recommended CUP/PSI specs,,, this can't be right.
Opened up the book and sure enough I was the smallest fraction from max pressure,,, Huuuuuuuummm.

Bling,,, on come the the light, not the light of a brain fart, the light of double checking the manufactor who makes the powder.
I'll be a horses goat,,, the published book allows for forgiveness.
If the manufactor has listed the powders higher,,, then I'm well with the allowance.

I'm into a safe node, just below max pressure,,, I'll fine tune it at a later date. I just got schooled.

Our oldtimer that comes to our range shot in the days when 49.000 PSI was alot of pressure.
By the time he reached National match the system changed.
60.192 PSI,,, this was crazy he said. Look at the NATO rounds of today.

This is his take.

"I'm not after maximum ft-per seconds in match Don, I have to compensate for elevation and wind drift anyways, a few extra clicks isn't going to make that much difference.
Finding that flat spot between the node is what gets it done.
Don't over compensate stuff.
If your body is more relaxed with a smooth comfortable shots, then what else could you ask for.

Sometimes more power is not the answer, perhaps it is in some cases.
The best judge to sort this out is the person them selves.
One extra thing I should mention well I'm at it Don.
Hot loads make heat, heat causes barrel burn, barrel burn wrecks accuracy. This was the way it was with the old steel iron barrels.
Today we have Stainless steel barrels, don't be fouled my friend.
They might last longer, but over time those hot gasses will eventually burn them out to."

I forgot about this conversation we had since I had lots on the go this summer, work, shooting, camping, pre season scouting, family, friends, cows, and other things.

Just a few days ago I stopped to sort more stuff out for my new rifle with my friend.
I was walking back to the front office when I spotted a plastic barrel full of rifle barrels.
One for sure stood out.
A Stainless steel barrel in mint condition,,, looking at it from the out side.
What's up with this pipe I asked.

"Its shot out, look at the lead."
Oldtimers words came full circle.
I just got schooled.

Any-who, the rifle pressure is safe with in its limits, the node is in a sweet spot for now, and I going to run with what is working for now.

I was told to shot and practic what was suggested.
Element the stuff that needs addressing.
Keep it the same.
If I'm successful, then the rest will become second nature.

Yes, the accurate load idea is still there, but it will come in due time.

Don