View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 12:21 AM

Thanks all for your input. I greatly appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Personally, I like my hunting knives short...
Same here, though I do have a couple of fair sized ones that almost never use. I just use my field knives for deboning. Fillet knife, to be honest, does most of the work. And I use my kitchen chef/carving/whatever knives for cuts, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Three proffesional butchers I know got asked the same question this year by me
The all said “ Victorinox”
Cat
I talked to two and they said the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
?
From the previous page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Victorinox hands down. I wouldn’t look at anything else. You can put an edge on them and they hold an edge.

The best set of knives for a kitchen I can think of outside of spending a small fortune.

I ended up getting this set:

I found it by chance for $79 (plus tax of 13%) in Canadian Tire in Ontario in the city my folks reside. My dad picked it up for me yesterday and he will be visiting in February. Not really sure about it now though and debating whether I should tell him to return it, lol. I don't really care for the Swiss Army Knife, I have more than one sharpening steel and I am not sure if there is any benefit to those boning knives over a fillet knife aside from less sharpening, perhaps (I don't think I even held a boning knive in my hands before); I also have two of Victorinox knives somewhat similar to that little guy, which I call utility knives (or pairing knives). So essentially it is $90 (after tax) for 4 knives, which still a good deal, I think.

As for Henckels, they have great steel. I have a block set of 6 (I think) of kitchen knives that I paid a good amount of money for a while back. They are good knives, but handles started falling apart on two by now:

I understand that these handles are made completely different but it still left a bad aftertaste in my mouth. And it is not Henckels International or whatever it is (I do not think that even existed when I bought the set):

I hardly ever use these knives anymore in the kitchen and switched to Wusthof. Better steel and no problems with handles so far. Looked at their butchering knives and they have perfect reviews, but do cost a fortune, which is not worth spending.

So back to the question of butchering knives: what do you think about the set my dad picked up for me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (38.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (41.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (50.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Bub; 12-17-2018 at 12:33 AM.