Thread: 17 Fireball
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 PM

Default 17 Fireball

Who has used the 17 Fireball on coyotes? Is it effective?

Considering the 17 Fireball in the Model 7 Predator for coyote control around farms/acreages. Figure it would be a good choice as it should do the job and be quiet, with reduced chance of bullet pass through and reduced chance of ricochet.

Already own a good 22-250, but it is likely too noisy for this work. Have a good reduced load, that is like a 50 gr 22 mag, but it shoots 6 inches below standard load at 100 yds. This load is very accurate and very quiet, but 6 inches is a lot on a coyote. I don't want to be re-sighting in every time I change loads. Have thought about getting a tactical scope that is made to be regularly adjusted, but this is a good chance to justify a new rifle.

Also considered 22 mag, but worried about ricochet, and hooped if coyote hangs up much beyond 100yds.

Considered 22 Hornet, but limited gun selection, can be finicky to find an accurate reload from what I hear, and does the average bullet open up enough to prevent pass throughs at this velocity.

Considered the 204 Ruger, but will it be hampered by the 22 inch barrel? and will it be quiet enough? Loading it or the 223 or the 22-250 down is an option, but keep coming back to the 17 Fireball as the best solution to all my parameters.

So all you 17 Fireball users, let me know the good points and bad points to the 17 Fireball. Had to keep clean? Hard to reload? Accurate? Drops coyotes decisively or wounds regularly? I don't think it is a 300 yd plus coyote rifle, but I can live with it if it is a good 250 yd coyote gun.