View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 08:37 AM

Yup...after Guiding for bear with bow for 30 some years the biggest issue aside from early Mecanical broadheads failing, [ mecanical heads were banned in many camps] was one lung shot bear from tree stands.

95% of bear baits are set up utilizing tree stands, many stands are far too high, making shot angle extreme at close ranges..

Shooters were aiming too low or too high at steep angles, a deadly shot on the ground but a deadly issue from stands as many bears are hit in one lung, a one lung shot bear can go a long ways and may never be found, or even survive.

I showed and told my shooters to picture in their mind where the heart is located and to aim at the heart, a slight quaring away shot worked best with lung, live and main heart componants being taken out.

On a lung shot the top of close side lung will take out bottom of oppisite lung for quick and humane take down...seconds

IMHO A black bear, even the biggest, [I have personally taken four well over 500 lbs] are the easiest and quickest animal to take down with the bow on a good vital heart or double lung shot... literally over in seconds, several were done within 7 seconds of release of arrow to stone cold done.
I have never taken a bear with a rifle but seen many and to this day IMHO think a bow takes down a bear much faster hit in the same vitals.

Neil