View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 08:15 PM

Fresh is always the best. I like my fish with a little wiggle left in them. In the fridge for a couple days. If I'm not going to eat the refrigerated fish by the third day I would be freezing the fish when it's fresh.

If you are going to keep pike in the fridge for a few days you might as well pickle it. You can be eating pickled pike in a few days and it keeps for a month in the fridge.

Pickled Pike
~~~~~~~~

1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1 gallon water
---
3 lbs pike fillets cut into pieces as big or small as you would like
7.5 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup Aquavit
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
2 tablespoons allspice berries
3 tablespoons black peppercorns
3 bay leaves
12 juniper berries
1 tablespoon coriander
10 cloves
1 tsp pickling salt
---
fresh dill
sliced shallots
lemon slices
Serrano chilies

1. mix together the kosher salt and water and make a salt water brine, put the fish pieces into the brine and refrigerate for 48 hours.

2. After the fish has brined for 48 hours drain the fish but do not rinse it, mix together all the ingredients from the white vinegar to the pickling salt and bring to a boil. let the pickling liquid cool to room temperature.

3. In your sterilized pint or quart jars layer the fish pieces with the dill, shallots, lemon and chillies. How much is up to you. I like a lot of dill and shallots and a couple thin slices of lemon per pint.
I didn't want the fish to be spicy but I did want a little flavor from the chilies so I only put 3-4 slices of chili per pint.

4. Don't over fill the jars as you need to pour the pickling liquid in after they are filled with fish. pour the room temperature liquid over the fish and place the lids on. refrigerate for 2-3 days before eating. this will last for up to a month in you fridge.

Makes 9 pints
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets