Thread: Reloading
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 01:44 AM

I think one of the more important things to learn before starting is possibly what to buy that saves time, money and what not to waste money on.
Ie; Rcbs, Lyman and Bonanza all make primer pocket brushes, use them instead of the little tin cleaning tools. A flash hole uniformer is a good tool. have to be a little careful with it, but, it makes a difference. I believe that the RCBS chamfering tool is the best of them. it is large enough to hold on to easily and does a nice job. An electronic scale is nice to use--but, have a beam scale around to check it with once in a while.
A set of Lee powder dippers is easier to work than a trickler. If you want a powder measure/thrower. buy the Redding Benchrest. However, throwers don't work well with long grained powders, they work very well with ball powders and short grained powders and not too bad with most flake powders.
You will hear a million opinions on dies, they all work, personally I spent the extra to have benchrest seating dies and I have neck sizing only dies for all bolt action calibres that I own.
I also like the Lee Auto-prime hand primer tool, RCBS makes a version of it also, never tried it yet though. Very nice to feel how the primers seat, can feel loosening pockets very easily with it.
If you want a bullet puller, buy the collet style, they are much less trouble to use than the hammer type ones, and safer.