View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korzy View Post
I was under the impression high heat sears in the juices as well, until i watched a food show where they did an experiment on this. Turns out searing the meat damages more tissue and thus lettting the juices out. Low and slow for tender it would seem.
High heat searing is for flavor and crust only. It does not "seal" in juices. I "sous vide" cuts of meat that are tougher (vac pack and cook in a low temp 135 degree to 140 degree water bath for 24-72 hours). Then you sear them really quickly after. You can have medium rare shanks that are literally falling off the bone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
This should open up a can of worms, but
...wild game does not have the same enzymes in it that beef has to break down the tissue. AAA Alberta beef is aged for a minimum of 28 days. Personally, I prefer to butcher my game within a day or two of been shot. You will not improve the quality of wild game by aging it like it was beef.
It most certainly does have similar enzymes. While you may not hang it like beef because it will have issues due to the lack of fat it has to protect it from over drying hanging does improve the quality -- especially of older animals. I hang with the hide on to prevent drying and hang for up to 3 weeks if temps permit.

Marshall McLuhan