View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Not necessarily Stan. Not trying to be a smart a ss, but I have fly fished since the late 70's. The actual reason for a tapered tippet is to turn over a fly. So your partially right. If you are fishing a light fly like an elk hair caddis you want the line to turn over nicely. Yes then you would want a tapered tippet. But for the most part if you can cast decently you can use one straight leader. For instance on the Bow I use straight 8lb Maxima Ultragreen. The fish in the Bow are not leader shy what so ever. So you don't need to worry about using florocarbon.

Now for other applications like trout lakes for instance I will use straight 8 lb Segar Inviz X. 100% florocarbon line.

Or I will use 8lb Segar's Abraz X.

The difference in the 2 Segar's is the Abraz X is a lot stiffer. The Inviz X is a bit more limp. The Abraz X will turn over nicely and be a bit more resistant if I am going to possibly be fishing in a rocky area (mountain lakes like Maligne Lake).

Segar was the inventor of the florocarbon line. You can pick up all three of those lines at Bass Pro Shop.

Of course if your going for pike or larger fish then the tippet material goes up in poundage. But that's the basis for the tapered leader. It just helps the flies turn over.

Rob
Your using a straight leader for dry flies? How long are you using?