View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 03:05 PM

I sank my chevy at a river crossing once and sucked my new 350 full of water.Pulled the oil drain plug to drain the crankcase(about 2 L of water came out before the oil started to come WOW),put new oil in,pulled the plugs to drain the cylinders,turned it over for a few seconds.Then we left it overnight.Next morning it still would'nt start because the mufflers were full of water and there was too much back pressure.A screwdriver and a hammer fixed those.A half cup of gas right down the carb and she sparked right up.Another oil change once we got home and it was like it never happened.That was about 15 years ago and I still have the truck.
Another guy i know had his truck roll into a lake backwards at a boatlaunch with the engine running(the roof was about 4 feet underwater)It took about a week and it was back on the road.Although he could never get the lake smell out of the cab.
The potential for damage is there,but in these instances there was no permanent damage.But a guy cannot wait to do something to fix it because raw cast iron such as the internal parts of an engine and the block itself will start to rust immidiately and then you may have problems.