View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 AM

Default JUST finished fishing for tuna in LA, Mexico

This is going to be quick, I just got back to the hotel after a 24 hour big boat excursion on the New Loanna out of San Diego harbor.
We got there at 8pm last night to sail at 9PM, into Mexican waters. We left the harbor in the pitch black, no running lights even on which is truly a strange experience. We were told to find a bunk, there were 32 available, stacked 3 high from the floor to the ceiling.
We sailed through the night, buddy and I were the last to turn in, knowing there was very little chance of sleep, for a multitude of reasons.
Just to paint a picture, a group of 'excited' heavily lubricated men walked off another boat and onto this one, cracking beer at both the exit from one and the entrance to the next dock. This never stopped for 24 hours. These guys were literally oozing beer and grease, we sure didn't want to sleep anywhere near them. When I went in to get my bunk ready, sure enough there is pizztank #1 stripped down to his skidmarked tighty whities, slobbering drunk trying to crawl into his bunk, great.
05:30 we were awakened by the Captain on the PA; 'tuna off the starboard bow!
We were not at all prepared for the dance that was about to unfold, but as we got to the rail and I cast my sniper I am not even sure if it hit the water before I had a very nice yellowfin tuna on. It was instant, explosive and furious. This continued for several minutes, 30, 40, 50 tuna hit the decks and we were not there 5 minutes.
It slowed down a little, and the Captain on the PA again, this time he said the boil is over, but we are still marking fish. Switch away from heavy gear, down to lighter and a 2-0 hook, they are going to be more finicky.
We continued drifting the location until the bite settled, and moved on.
Over the next 10 hours we did the same thing 3 times, and ended up with over 170 tuna on the floor. The deckhands even got in on the action.
The staff were just awesome, they were baiting hooks, casting reels, gaffing fish, doing everything possible to get meat on the deck.
By the time we were done the boat looked like a series of grizzly murders occurred, there was blood everywhere, and we filled the fishboxes.
I knocked 4 more species off the bucket list; calico bass, yellowtail tuna, yellowfin tuna, albacore, skipjack.
More tomorrow or the next day, the real bed in the hotel apparently has an electromagnet in it, I am being drawn to it.
Pics soon.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 09-13-2017 at 01:02 AM.