View Single Post
Old 05-26-2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix_84 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys! In the end i went with a St Croix Premier Ultralight. I haven't used it yet but am worried about its durability being so light, i guess time will tell.
I have not had any issues with the St.Croix products in terms of durability. I own likely close to 20 of them and they all have their place. The sensitivity, quality and design of these, for me, set a benchmark at that mid to high price point.

Like HuyFishing said, I bet dollars to doughnuts a glass composite rod like a ugly stick, or a low to mid priced Shimanos (or any brand really), are far more durable but there's a big trade off there in sensitivity. Not a big deal when casting for pike, or bent over loaded on a downrigger, but when you are trying to pin walleyes who are tickling your bait or working some feathers trying to get a trout to commit - that superior feel cashes the checks. ....so there's times when its worth it and times when it's not.

The reality is any high end rod like a Loomis or St.Croix are quite light, thin and slightly less forgiving when handled like a 2x4 thrown in the back of the truck bed or slammed in your door.

Despite that, they are a very well built, high quality rod that if you take reasonable care with it, you will have it for years.