View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 01:29 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I heard a story from a reputable source about an Alberta fur buyer who got caught swapping out hides from customers to replace lower quality hides from his own fur pile. He got a good lickin out of it too. Like it’s been said, money spawns corruption.
I heard a story like that one too!!!

Once upon a time.... A very well dressed man brings in the nicest coyote in the universe to a NAFA fur depot, agent tickets it and sends him on his way. Guy drives home then returns with his buddy to show him the nicest coyote in the universe but the agent refuses to show him the coyote. After some disagreement, the very well dressed man MAKES the agent show him the coyote and the agent complies.

The agent pulls out the skin with the correct ticket number, however the skin is NOT the nicest coyote in the universe and so the very well dressed man assaults and beats the agent into whatever, then somebody calls the cops, but don’t know if the story sez the very well dressed man did or the agent, but at any rate the cops arrive and haul the agent to prison.

The story does not yet end...

The very well dressed man and his buddy return to the fur depot, break in and set up secret/hidden cameras and they again caught the agent switching tickets/skins.

Wasn’t that a nice story???

100% Plausible, who would ever doubt such?

I’m still hoping to figure out who that was! They must have beat me unconscious and then I must have suffered memory loss from the beating. How do you change tickets on those wonderful plastic security seals?

I do understand the concern of buyer/dealer/trapper operating a fur depot.

Recently I met up with two guys in the Red Deer area, they had 55 frozen skins between the two of them, wanted to sell without finishing. VERY nice stuff, high grade, heavy and some surprising good colours, a very good group to grade/average very well on at any typical NAFA sale. They tried to use an undisclosed agent that also bought a lot of coyotes but upon their goods hitting the sale the grades were way below average and very angry shippers. They initiated a complaint but nothing happened with it.

So I do understand the concerns... find a good guy/outfit that is trustworthy and run with them.

I better go stand in front of the fleshing machine for a few hours now.

Last edited by Marty S; 03-02-2020 at 01:42 PM.