View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 04:10 PM

Have 10,000 watt Powerfist on a dolly to roll around the barn connecting to incubators, hatchers and brooding lamps if we ever have a major failure during hatching season but it is too big and heavy for me to move alone unless on the dolly within the barn as it takes 3-4 guys to put it in the pick up truck.

Bought a 3000 watt Honda knock off from Bumper to Bumper to use with 5th wheel and for portable jobs around the farm running saw etc that is just over a hundred pounds and will run all day on a tank of gas. Quiet compared to the big one.

I have had 2 electricians tell me that the "dead lock out switch" for a generator can not be mounted to my power pole as the power company owns it. (although several of my neighbors have had them for over 20 years) They also priced the Square D switch at $600 -$800 plus about the same to install. I have 5 very heavy cable extension cords (farm industrial quality) instead of paying $2000 for something we might use a few hours every second or third year.
it would be more convenient to have everything running on generator but we can get by with essentials with cables.