Thread: No perch left
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Therefore I guess the Walleye ate all of the 12" - 15" Perch out of Amisk Lake and then left only small Perch (less than 10”) to swim about freely. The hundreds of common anglers (like yourself) whom kept there limit of the 15 largest heaviest-spawning Perch every weekend had nothieng do to with the Perch fishery right? I think the exact same thing happened in Pigeon Lake also! Yet every year I still see thousands of Perch 6” and or less swimming about while ice fishing for Whitefish in Pigeon but I guess the Walleye allegedly decimated that Perch population too….but only the big ones right?

So let us blame it on the Walleye and continue to harass the CO's with the same question over, and over, and over again even though the CO’s have absolutely nothing to do with setting catch limits and or regulations and are just doing their job trying to ensure the regulations are being followed.

Hum…. sounds like a you’ve done your research and have put forward an intelligent argument to me.

Just remember the Walleye, Pike, Perch, Whitefish, etc. did all just fine co-existing with each other for thousands of years well before people ever arrived to screw things up. I’d say look in the mirror my friend’s before pointing the finger. I ain't the Walleye, it was you and I!

So what are you going to do to fix the problem?

I completely disagree with you, up until we became a province that only cares about our walley habitat there were a sizeable amount of all kinds of fish. It was harder to find the walley but you had lots of fish to choose from, and the stunted growth of many of the other species like micro perch and hammer handle pike was localized to some very small obviously unsustainable lakes. I believe that we are turning alberta into a walley only fishery, and forgetting about everything else. I have had this conversation with many anglers throughout the years and that seems to be the general consensis.