Old 11-12-2018, 11:44 PM

"What are you guys hunting?"
"Whitetail deer."
"Can I see your tags?"

Alternate version:

"What are you guys up to?"
"Hunting whitetail deer."
"Do you mind if I take a look at your licenses?"

Either of these versions of the events would end up with a court date for the guy without a whitetail deer tag. I am not familiar with the area at all and never looked at it in the regs, but from a quick look it appears that the general tag is good to November 30 in WMU 248, where the events took place. So I am not really sure what the other guy got his ticket for.

The correct version would be:

"What are you guys hunting?"
"I am hunting upland birds."
"And I am hunting whitetail deer."
"May I take a look at you licenses?"

Not sure where the shotgun came into the conversation from, but if the guy did in fact have a shot gun and a general whitetail deer license, then he may have been confused by this?

Either way, it appears that some info is missing or at least one guy should not have been ticketed.

The way it reads to me though, the buddy bought a bow permit and would (supposedly) take a shot with your bow at a deer if one presented itself. My concern with this part is obviously buddy's experience with shooting a bow. Clearly he did not have the permit when you guys were hunting in Whitecourt and was not planning on taking a deer with an arrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
^so for example ..if I’m out with a buddy who has a moose draw and the CO rolls up and I say we’re hunting moose and deer I can be charged for hunting without a licence ... not likely .. ecentially the same thing
If you say you are hunting moose, you would most definitely get charged for hunting without a license. If you say moose and deer, likely no problem would arise. I think the best answer in this case is "I am hunting deer" (assuming you have a tag for one). And the buddy's answer "I am hunting moose" or "... moose and deer" if he is also after a deer and has tag.

Words really matter. Anything you say may be used against you in a court of law, or whatever the saying goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strathcoma.jpg (44.3 KB, 658 views)