View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 04:33 PM

You mentioned easy availability not being a requirement. Still is a pain trying to get components if it's not somewhat common.

Had to buy loaded shells for one rifle, because no one sells brass anywhere. I prefer to buy 200 gr. bullets for 30-06 because I know that they carry better at long range and have better momentum up front. Many people won't agree, and I suppose they aren't big sellers because no one seems to stock those either. I'm a big fan of .264, but even though it seems to be gaining popularity (again?), it's still hard to find the bullets I'm looking for and the price of anything slightly oddball is quite a bit higher. I had a silent chuckle, when another AO member said he went to a 6.5 to save money on powder.

One of the undisputed (highly disputed) greats of long-ish range shooting came out in about 1952(?) in the form of the 7mm Rem Mag.

Great bullets available, with selection, high BC, and SD, driven to a reasonably high velocity without being crazily overbore, makes it a real contender.

It comes down to personal preference, but a quick look at ballistics shows it's no slouch, and recoil is very manageable.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!