View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 04:18 PM

Needless to say, I too agree on the one Dog thing (as discussed above). I know the value of the Dog and the love that a good Master has for their Pooch is a true familial bond. I value Porcupines and respect them as well yet they serve a much different purpose in our environment as well as being a consumable resource for some Humans. A Dog is bred by and for Man to serve as a companion and helper. It is plain to see the difference and both are cherished by myself.

I will keep an open mind and see if I could share any hides, hair or quills at some time in the future. I am developing an interest in crafts and would like to try my hand at a few things... So I shall have to see how it goes. As of now I am looking to learn and doing some studying on the matter. When appropriate rescources are available, I shall proceed.

As per recipes and cooking, here is a brief and entertaining article I discovered on the matter -

http://ushotstuff.com/wg/PorcupineSmp.htm

"The porcupine is rarely an intentional hunter's target, but many hunters take a whack at one when they come across it inadvertently. Some People encourage this, particularly Foresters who resent the porky's habit of "ringing" trees, leading to the tree's eventual death. Others insist that porcupines should be killed only in dire emergency; they have been called a "walking lunchbox." Since porcupines are very slow-moving, anyone lost in woods where porcupines live can always eat. The animal can be easily killed with a club for a source of food.

Whatever your particular attitude is, should you want to try a porcupine, go right ahead. It is not necessarily true that they taste like kerosene! The porcupine cleans out easily. Much as you would proceed with a rabbit, slit the belly area, thus avoiding the quills. Naturally, remove the stomach. The hide peels off easily, as does the rabbit's, right down to the feet and there you are with lean, dark meat. (In Pennsylvania, if the quills aren't to be saved, they are first singed off, then the skin is cut off.) Porkies range from 9 to 40 pounds.

Jacqueline E. Knight

=================================

Marinated Porcupine Chops

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
6 Porcupine chops
3 Fingers coltsfoot salt
1 qt Maple sap
2 sm Wild onions
4 Wild leeks

Pour the sap in a birch bark container or other non-metallic
container. Cut up the onions into small pieces and add to the sap.
Place the porcupine chops one at a time into the solution, placing
one wild leek between the chops. Let stand overnight in a cool
place. In the morning grease the stone griddle with fat and remove
the chops from the marinade and fry on the griddle. Serve on hot
cornmeal cakes.

================================

New England Broiled Porcupine Liver

Recipe By: Jacqueline E. Knight

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
Porcupine liver(s)
Bacon slices

Soak the whole liver in salted water for 15 minutes. Remove,
drain, and wipe dry. Cut liver into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Drop
slices into boiling water for 1 minute. Remove, drain, and cool.
Remove thin membrane fron edges and all gristle and tubes. Wrap
each slice with a slice of bacon and broil for 5 minutes.

Comments: Since the porky is a sedentary animal, the liver is
relatively large. The liver is very sweet and is considered one of
the finest of game livers."

I have yet to try these specifics ideas and unfortunately do not have a Porcupine handy at the moment. As I have been meaning to try them without opportunity just yet, I thought it may be beneficial to share this article/recipes I found online with others here, for your edification.

I will most likely be using a stove top and and pan to cook the chops and will substitute store bought vegetable if needs be. If anyone tries these recipes before I do, please let me know! Additionally if anyone has any other ideas, I wold love to hear them. I will report back when possible.

Thank You!

Here is some additional information provided by Alberta ESRD on Porcupines in Alberta -

http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/W...porcupine.aspx

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-27-2013 at 04:44 PM.