View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
I understand that. That being said, think of it this way. Imagine I was a landowner (I am not) and I were to have a problem with deer eating my trees. This is costing me money, and all the solutions (such as putting up protective fencing) are expensive and detract from the function (beautifying my yard) of the trees.

Now if I was to go on the forum and say that my plan was to set up a blind and spend the week blasting every deer that wandered into my field of view (out of season, no tags, over limit) I would be crucified as a poacher, and rightfully so.

That withstanding, a number of people seem to have no problem suggesting we shoot a number of federally protected species of which no legal harvest at any time or place exists. Killing loons, grebes etcetera--even on your property, even though they inconvenience you--is poaching wildlife from the public to which they belong, plain and simple. Anyone who does so is no better in my opinion than someone sitting with a 5 gallon bucket and a pickerel rig in the North Ram, or shining fog lights from the back of a 4x4 into a field in the middle of night, looking for something with 4 legs and a heartbeat.
Agreed.

It is illegal.

Giving advice in respect to killing protected migratory species such as loons and herons could prove complicity.

Nets, scare crows, noise makers should work. Timing is critical.

You could even try floating some predatory decoys.

Who knows...an alligator or orca floaty may be odd enough to scare them.

You may have to experiment as those birds are smart. Loons and grebes and herons will come within 10 feet of me in Calgary.

Stocking bigger than 16-18 inches will help.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin