View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
I understand that. That being said, think of it this way. Imagine I was a landowner (I am not) and I were to have a problem with deer eating my trees. This is costing me money, and all the solutions (such as putting up protective fencing) are expensive and detract from the function (beautifying my yard) of the trees.

Now if I was to go on the forum and say that my plan was to set up a blind and spend the week blasting every deer that wandered into my field of view (out of season, no tags, over limit) I would be crucified as a poacher, and rightfully so.

That withstanding, a number of people seem to have no problem suggesting we shoot a number of federally protected species of which no legal harvest at any time or place exists. Killing loons, grebes etcetera--even on your property, even though they inconvenience you--is poaching wildlife from the public to which they belong, plain and simple. Anyone who does so is no better in my opinion than someone sitting with a 5 gallon bucket and a pickerel rig in the North Ram, or shining fog lights from the back of a 4x4 into a field in the middle of night, looking for something with 4 legs and a heartbeat.
You this comment got me thinking and you are most certainly right. I never knew cormorants were protected thus why I suggested shotgun.

After reading this it changed my perspective thanks for pointing it out.

As for the bird situation try bear bangers, fire works and other non lethal deterrents.

On a side note I wonder how many farmers do kill game cause they are bothersome or how many pond owners kill birds would be interesting to find out but no one would admit to that.